Faith Canter is a therapist, nutritional therapist and a lover of all things health related. She lives in Edinburgh, where she sees one to one clients and also runs UK wide workshops, demos and talks about living a less toxic life in mind, body, home and environment. Check out Faith’s books 'Living A Life Less Toxic' and 'Cleanse' on Faith’s website, or sign-up to her mailing list to be the first to hear about her new book 'Loving Yourself Inside & Out'.
Be Your Own Valentine with Faith’s Self-Love Survival Guide
If you're tired of judging yourself, putting yourself down, dishonouring your body, disrespecting your history and disliking who you are and the life you lead, then you are in the right place!
Behind many health conditions, weight concerns, poor relationships and living in a place of lack is a dishonouring of what makes us, us. When we address this, and embrace the beauty of who we truly are we start to live a life full of abundance. Abundance of health, love, money, relationships, happiness and fulfilment.
Creating your own self-love survival guide is one of the best things you can do for yourself this valentine’s day. If you are in a relationship or not make sure to set aside some self-love time and nourish all that makes you, you!
· Acceptance – Practicing acceptance is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Instead of slipping into a place of judgement, conflict or fear, feel the feelings, honour that it’s ok to be human and it’s ok to have these feeling and with that feeling they will flow. Rather than fighting them and/or yourself accept them and the place you are in. Fighting ourselves has never got us anywhere anyway, has it?
· The Body’s Invitations to Heal – There is nothing wrong with your body. Your body is just giving you invitations to resolve something that's out of balance. Start by listening to your body. What’s your body trying to tell you? Listen to the language you are using for clues. Does your headache feel pressured? If so where in your life are you feeling pressured? Or, are you constipated? If so, what are you holding onto that you could let go of? Really listen to your body and what it is telling you as it speaks all the time.
· Heart Wide Open – During your day, practice being heart wide open. What we generally do as a default setting is to have our hearts closed off. We do this because we are protecting ourselves or we are stuck in our heads. But if you create a new habit of imagining your heart wide open and connecting you to life around you, then you feel lighter, more loving, expansive and indeed connected to all around you. It’sa beautiful place of gratitude and energy to rest in.
· Life Is Happening For You Not Against You – I know this sounds crazy when so many bad things are happening around us but honestly, it’s true! Have you noticed it’s the people that hit rock bottom that rise again so high? When we are sleep walking through life, life will eventually create a big-ass alarm clock to wake us up, to change our course and to put us on the path to our purpose and love in life. When we recognise that perceived bad things are happening for our greater good, we can move through them much more gracefully and see the opportunities and learnings in them sooner.
· Connectedness – Connection is one of our basic human needs. We need to be connected with ourselves, each other and the planet. When we allow this connection to slip, we find it easier be bad to ourselves, each other and the planet. Disconnection can lead to despondency, depression and dis-ease. So, make time for connecting in with yourself and your needs, maybe through meditation, long baths and listening to yourself. Make time for connecting with others (in a nourishing and nurturing way) and for connecting with nature. You could do this through walking, paddling in the sea, growing your own food or simply eating in a much more mindful and conscious way.
· From Fear to Love – All decisions we make are made from either fear or love. Where are you making your decisions from at the moment? Are you afraid of change, of letting go, being by yourself, of giving up the career or person that is not serving you? Are in a place of fear? Shift your awareness to your heart, moving it out of your head and now breathe in and out of this place. When grounded in your heart, ask your heart ‘what would love do’? Listen to the answer from your heart (not head) and do that instead. Your heart will never steer you wrong.
· Letting Go – What can you let go of today? When you are holding onto things that are not serving you, you are not allowing room for the things that will. Make a vow today to start letting go of the things you do not need in your life. If it’s clutter in the home, work through a drawer at a time. If it’s a career, then start looking for new opportunities or considering training in something new. Whatever it is, start the ball rolling today.
· The Blue List – Create a healthy harmonious first aid kit for when you are a little low. It’s simply a list of things that help when you are not feeling the love of life. At the top of my list I have meditation and then next to it I have written ‘are you really meditating Faith’? Because, I know when I am low, I will convince myself I am meditating when I am not. What helps you? Even if it’s things like taking a bath or listening to upbeat music, write it down and write down anyway you will convince yourself you are doing this already when in fact you are not. Consult the list when you are low to see what you could be doing for yourself.
· Power – Where are you drawing you power from and where are you giving it away? Write this down. Who or what gives you power? If you are fuelling yourself with bad food, sleep and relationships, then no wonder you feel tired, weak and ill. Or if you are fuelling other people with your own power all the time then you will eventually become depleted. What changes can you make here?
· Listen – Really, really listen to yourself! - So many of us do not listen to our own needs. We are tired, yet we keep pushing through. We don’t feel good after eating wheat, yet we keep eating it. Certain people drain us, yet we let them. What are you not listening to? What could you be doing for yourself? What lights you up, refuels you and inspires you? Write everything down you love to do and that makes you feel good and try to do at least a little of some of it each day. The more time we take for ourselves the better relationships we will have, the more energy we will have and the happier we and the people around us will be. It’s not selfish to do this for you as it also helps those around you.
· Consciously Creating Change – If you want things to change then you have to be the change! Otherwise, another year from now, nothing will have changed. Put reminders in your phone to practice acceptance. Set an alarm in the morning to connect in with your heart or to meditate. Write on your shopping list that you will consciously shop for more nourishing foods. Whatever has resonated with you from this list, consciously add into your daily routine. Be the change you want in your life, no one else can do it for you!