When we lived in London, I used to visit Madhavi Patel, who runs Rishi Veda, at her home in Kensington for her incredible bespoke facials. She’s a facialist, aromatherapist and creates her own therapeutic skincare. Every Rishi Veda product is a blend of rejuvenating ingredients tailored for each individual and I absolutely love her treatments. I also love talking beauty with Madhavi as she has a deep knowledge of ingredients, aromatherapy, nutrition and Ayurveda. She's since moved to a studio in Mayfair and runs a busy practice. She's taken time to write an article about her unique and holistic approach to skincare and how to achieve healthy, glowing and beautiful skin.
Madhavi Patel On Radiant and Naturally Glowing, Healthy Skin
I believe the face is a reflection of our inner self. Our thoughts, lifestyle, emotional and personal factors impact one’s energy and the way we look, feel and age. How we feel internally clearly manifests physically. Through my work, I have had the opportunity to look after many people from different walks of life. Each person brings with them a different story, which can be clearly seen through their physical appearance.
As a facialist, I try and look beyond the physical and delve into the inner workings of my client. The skin speaks volumes and it perfectly reflects your inner being. I believe that the skin feels the sensations of your outer existence and expresses this in a language that lets me interpret the events that you experience and the effect it has on you. Getting to the core of the issue is vital because that is when true healing begins and lasting results can be obtained.
My new clients (my regulars know the drill) will come in with the usual requests from ageing, tired complexions, congested skin to dark circles around the eyes, as well as sensitive skin issues such as eczema and psoriasis. While sometimes their skincare concerns can be simply treated with products, more often than not a holistic approach is needed. I will listen to my client and look at every little detail concerning them from the way they talk, move, breathe, and look, to how they respond during a treatment in order to understand what is happening with them.
Results come from precise and consistent effort. My experience and observations from looking after my clients' skin has taught me the following:
- Keep the skincare products you use to a minimum (there is no need to bombard your skin with countless products). Choose your products carefully and please think about the so called "naturally beauty recipes" you see online - sometimes they cause more harm than good. Use products that are clean, fresh and packed with goodness.
- Eat clean and if your health permits, try and fast to give your body a rest, so the energy can be used to heal and repair.
- Exercise and ensure you get the right proportion of sleep according to your needs.
- Ensure you are the right weight for your height - being overweight and also underweight can result in you looking older than your real age.
- Address any emotional concerns you have.
- And relax. A life filled with continuous disharmony will effect the inner workings of the body, this will result in premature ageing and other skin conditions and physical ailments.
A fresh, vibrant and healthy face is a combination of many factors. The next time you go in for a facial or go shopping for a new skincare routine, think about exactly what you are trying to achieve and change? Once you have established what the root of the cause is, look towards tweaking and changing your routine in order to bring about long lasting results.